[DRBD-user] Sharing RedHat RPM packages

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Feb 7 14:03:41 CET 2008

Johnny,

On Thursday 07 February 2008 13:49:38 Johnny Hughes wrote:
> OK, I have built RPMS / SRPMS for drbd82 for both CentOS-4 and CentOS-5
> (i386 and x86_64 arches).

Sweet!

> You can get them here, but they are CONFLICTS and not obsoletes/upgrades
> to the versions that are currently in CentOS Extras.  This is due to the
> fact that there are major changes (especially in CentOS-4) so the
> process to upgrade should be to remove the old version, install the new
> version, configure.

True for the 0.7->8 transition. 0.7 and 8 are not compatible on the wire, and
the on-disk metadata format is different too.

But, you can safely upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2. No need to reconfigure, no
changes to metadata, and the only protocol incompatibilies apply if one node
is using 8.0 AND the other is on 8.2 AND the 8.2 node uses features not
present in 8.0. Which clearly wouldn't apply if you just upgraded your
cluster from 8.0 to 8.2.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.