[DRBD-user] quick question on shuting down one node

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Feb 6 03:24:29 CET 2008

Martin Gombac wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have two consistent nodes and want to bring one down to add another disk.
> In the mean time the other node will take over all resources.
> When first node comes back it will have an outdated resource(s).
> On this node drbd will be started first then heartbeat.
> Heartbeat will want to take over the resources immediately, while drbd
> (devices) are still syncing and make SyncSource primary.
>
> Would this pose a problem?
> Should heartbeat be started only after drbd synchronization finishes?
> The latter is how I used to do it but i don't think it's necessary.

That's what I've always done.  I only start heartbeat on a node which
could legitimately become primary.  A SyncTarget, or any other node with
outdated/inconsistent data, should never be primary.  So, I figure it
shouldn't have heartbeat running.

You may be able to write some heartbeat CRM resource constraints to only
allow a node to start resources if drbd is in a consistent state, but
I'm not sure how to do that at the moment.

alex