[DRBD-user] Sharing RedHat RPM packages

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Feb 5 15:29:11 CET 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 13:33:29 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Florian Haas wrote:
> > Well, both, if you can. CentOS 4 is stuck on 0.7; would be nice to offer
> > DRBD 8 in parallel (the way Debian does). CentOS 5 has the 8.0 branch,
> > maybe replace that with 8.2.
>
> So you're recommending to use 8.2 in a production environment now? I
> don't think we want to have software (even in CentOSplus) where the
> protocol might change. Once 8.2.x gets "stable" (like 8.0.x), we'll
> think about inclusion. And we are at 8.0.8 at the moment.

OK if it's your policy to wait for something to become feature frozen before
it gets included, fine. But it's not like the "protocol will change" in 8.2.
8.2 gets new features. When they become available, you don't have to use
them. If you choose not to, 8.2 is fully compatible with 8.0. So it is safe
to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2, one node by one, and then enable 8.2 features as
needed.

> Regarding CentOS4 - yes, there might be a possibility to also offer an
> drbd8 - but the 0.7 version has to stay. We cannot just pull away
> something people might run.

Correct, by all means. I didn't mean to make a case for pulling 0.7 out of
CentOS 4.

> So how about drbd (0.7 line) and drbd8 (the 8.0 line) in CentOS 4?

That sounds good, and is the way the Debian guys are doing it too.

Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.