[DRBD-user] Sharing RedHat RPM packages

Tue Feb 5 15:15:00 CET 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Florian Haas wrote:
>> Well, both, if you can. CentOS 4 is stuck on 0.7; would be nice to offer DRBD
>> 8 in parallel (the way Debian does). CentOS 5 has the 8.0 branch, maybe
>> replace that with 8.2.
>
> So you're recommending to use 8.2 in a production environment now? I
> don't think we want to have software (even in CentOSplus) where the
> protocol might change. Once 8.2.x gets "stable" (like 8.0.x), we'll
> think about inclusion. And we are at 8.0.8 at the moment.
>
> Regarding CentOS4 - yes, there might be a possibility to also offer an
> drbd8 - but the 0.7 version has to stay. We cannot just pull away
> something people might run.

More info on this.  There is no easy way to automate moving from
drbd-0.7.x to drbd-8.x ... so I can not see CentOS ever totally removing
drbd-0.7.x OR making drbd-8.x an auto upgrade from drbd-0.7.x in
CentOS-4.  I have no problem adding drbd-8.0 (drbd8) or drbd-8.2
(drbd82) in parallel with drbd-0.7.x for CentOS-4.

There are plenty of things (GNOME, KDE, everything really) in CentOS-4
that are not going to be upgraded ... just because that is how
enterprise distros work.  I mean, there is still a CentOS-2.1 with
gnome-1.4 out there and people still use it ... security issues are
backported.  So as long as it works and there are not unresolved
security issues, we will keep drbd-0.7.x around till the end of CentOS-4.

> So how about drbd (0.7 line) and drbd8 (the 8.0 line) in CentOS 4?

Maybe even a drbd82 for both centos-4 and centos-5 that goes along with
drbd (0.7.x in c4 and 8.0.x in c5).

Do I understand that 8.2.x is going to continue on forward forever (as
the 2.6 kernel seems to do) ... or will there be a 8.4.x, etc?

> Cheers,
>
> Ralph (@centos.org)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes