[DRBD-user] DRBD+LVM+Ext3 online resize

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Dec 19 21:15:56 CET 2008

From: Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com>
>> So when building the initial LVM and mkfs.ext3, what are some
>> options that I should be using on an array that will start at
>> 2TB and grow to about 10TB as I add more disks?
> I may be wrong, but I think on intel/amd ext3 is still limited
> to < 8TiB ?

Docs say the max filesystem size for ext23 on the x86 is 16T with
4K blocks.  I don't know how much this has been tested or used in
the real world, since arrays that large are still out of my price
range.

> ever seen e2fsck on a multi terabyte device?

It takes a while, which is why he's using ext3.  You'd run into
the same problems with any filesystem when things go south,
really.  Don't worry, it'll all be fixed in ext4 (currently in
alpha).

> why not go for XFS? seems to be a better choice for device
> sizes in that range.

Maybe he wants his data to still be there if there's a power
failure :-)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows