[DRBD-user] DRBD+LVM+Ext3 online resize

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Dec 19 18:01:33 CET 2008

From: "Artur (eBoundHost)" <artur at eboundhost.com>
>>Make sure your ext3 filesystem has >resize_inode flag/feature set.
>>You can check it with dumpe2fs.
> Is this the only place where I need to worry about inodes? Do I
> need to specify a max number of inodes anywhere? If yes, where
> can I find info on calculating it?

Without the resize_inode, you can't expand an ext3 filesystem.  The
most recent ext2fs utils are supposed to reserve enough space in the
block descriptor table to let the filesystem be resized to 4x its
original size.  If you want more space to be reserved, you have to
use -Eresize=nnnn when you run mke2fs.

The number of inodes is usually set at filesystem creation time.  I
don't remember whether making an ext3 filesystem larger actually
increases the number of inodes or not.  It might.  I can't check
right now.  The default is to create 1 inode for each 8K, which is
probably overkill if you're not running a news spool.  -Tlargefile
makes 1 inode for every 1M, which is great for partitions where you
have music/movies.

The people on the ext3-dev and ext4-dev mailing lists know a lot
more about this stuff, if you need more detail.  You may want to
ask them about a 10T ext3 filesystem--that should be possible, but
there may be some weirdnesses you have to take into account.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows