[DRBD-user] Do we need to run mkfs on the replicating node?

Steven Truong midair77 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:59:02 CET 2008

Dear.  I am new to DRBD and have a problem with accessing /dev/drbd0
on the replicating node.

I was able to run mkfs on /dev/drbd0 and then mounted it.  However,
after the sync was done, I could not run mkfs on /dev/drbd0 on the
replicating node and could not mount it.

I got this error:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0
mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
mkfs.ext3: Wrong medium type while trying to determine filesystem size

mount /dev/drbd0 /home
mount: block device /dev/drbd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: Wrong medium type

My /dev/brbd0 is constructed with:

md8 : active raid1 hdc10[1] hdb10[0]
      215624320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

# fdisk -l /dev/hdb | grep hdb10
/dev/hdb10           3558       30401   215624398+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

# fdisk -l /dev/hdc | grep hdc10
/dev/hdc10           3558       30401   215624398+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

Could someone tell me what suppose to happen and how to fix this problem?

Thank you very much.