[DRBD-user] Estimating meta data size

David Pinkerton H David.H.Pinkerton at coles.com.au
Tue Dec 2 07:44:17 CET 2008

Can someone shed some light please!

Using the formula on the web site

sector size
          blockdev --getss /dev/disk/by-name/360060e80042c950000002c9500002590
          512

capacity in sectors
          blockdev --getsz /dev/disk/by-name/360060e80042c950000002c9500002590
          977080320

2^18
         262144

977080320 /  262144 = 3727.2656

3727.2656 * 8 = 29818.125

29818.125 + 72 = 29890.125

29890.125 / 2048 = 14.594788 Mb

When I setup several drbd resources (total 320Gb) a 1G meta-data lv filled up??

David H Pinkerton
Systems Engineer - Linux Team/Platform Services
745 Springvale Road
Mulgrave 3170
*  8544 6827
*  0488 904 232
*  david.h.pinkerton at colesgroup.com.au

Unix Team Site: http://portal.cmlconnect.org/portal/wps/portal/retail_support/it/teams/unix_systems

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential information
and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any
confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail
has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and
any attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is free from
computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any loss/damage incurred by using this
material is not the sender's responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be
limited to resupplying the material.