[DRBD-user] hardware requirements for drbd

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Aug 20 20:07:02 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:33:49AM +0800, mailing wrote:
> Hi to all..
>
> Im a new member here and want to try drbd for my two node clustering
> solution my question is can I use different hardware architecture for
> the two nodes ? say the primary is an Intel based with different
> storage capacities , video cards ,  while the secondary is AMD based ,
> or two nodes should have an identical hardware...can you enlighten me
> about this..

DRBD is supposed to work between different hardware, and different
architectures. so you could connect a PPC with a i386, or an ia64,
no worries.

note however that the storage subsystems should be roughly in the same
performance ballpark, though,
as a slower Secondary will slow down any Primary.

If you intend to use this as a failover cluster, both nodes should
overall be in the same RAM/CPU/Performance league, or you will suffer
when you actually need to run your services on the less powerfull node.
depending on the applications in use, it may be advisable to
have the same architecture on both nodes.

DRBD does not care for the architecture of the nodes,
it should "just work".

They absolutely have to have the same video card, though.

 :)

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks
of LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH