[DRBD-user] New user first drbd setup

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN king at computerking.ca
Mon Aug 4 06:19:38 CEST 2008

This will be my first drbd setup so far here is what i have what i need to know is were does the meta data go??

2 Ubuntu 6.0.6.2 LTS servers each running dbbd built from source code.  These machines are on separate networks.

Server one is older and has most things installed on raid 1 without LVM.  However i have added a 20GB hard disk and set LVM and mounted a ext3 /drbd partion on it. Being a separate hard disk i am thinking this will have to be external metadata but not really clear on where and how much meta

root at mx1:/drdb# mount
/dev/md2 on / type ext3 (rw,grpquota,usrquota)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-drdb on /drdb type ext3 (rw)

Server two has everything on raid 1 / and /boot are old style partitions in case something goes wrong. However i have a nice big LVM device setup on this machine it has /usr /var /opt /home and most importantly /drbd partitions on it.  This is all on the same drive so i am guessing it will be internal meta data.

root at mx1:/drdb# mount
/dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-home on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg-drbd on /drbd type ext3 (rw)

This is what i have in /etc/drbd.conf on both machines of course so far i am very unclear as to what should be disk and device should i be using mapper entries like found in the mount command?

global {
        usage-count yes;
}
common {
        protocol C;
}
resource r0 {
  on canmail.org{
        device    /dev/drbd1test;
        disk      /dev/vg/drbd;
        address   66.244.200.225:7789;
        meta-disk internal;
  }
  on computerking.ca {
        device    /dev/drbd1test;
        disk      /dev/vg/drbd;
        address   68.144.188.169:7789;
        meta-disk external;
  }
}

WOW how did this get so complex just looking for some help here do not want to overwrite my whole harddisk or anything to crazy.

Computer King & CaN Mail  -  Sales Service Hosting Backup

http://www.computerking.ca     http://www.canmail.org

NEW!!! Custom Service Packages
Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online Accounting Packages