[DRBD-user] primary/primary questions

Chris Picton lists at tangent.co.za
Tue Apr 29 19:18:36 CEST 2008

Hi

How is primary/primary replication meant to work?

If I make any changes to part of the drbd block device on either node, is it
meant to synchronise to the other, or must changes be written synchronously to
both nodes from client applications?

I am asking because I want to attempt the following:

DRBD Server 1             DRBD Server 2
     |                        |
 /dev/drbd0   <---P/P--->  /dev/drbd0
     |                        |
 ietd target (same ScsiId) ietd target
     |                        |
+---------------------------------+
|              Network            |
+---------------------------------+

And then, on each cluster node, as follows:

     GFS

    CLVMD

     PV

 dm-multipath
   |       |
 iscsi   iscsi
target   target
     1   2

However, if I setup the multipath in roundrobin mode (to attempt load
balancing), a single write to the gfs filesystem will result in potentially
multiple independant writes to each underlying drbd device.

Is this safe?

If not, how should the multipath be configured?

Chris