[DRBD-user] modprobe drbd fails on debian etch amd64

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Apr 29 11:16:29 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 15:05:54 Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into trouble when trying to
>
> # drbdadm attach r0
> No response from the DRBD driver! Is the module loaded?
> Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/md2 /dev/md2 internal
> --set-defaults --create-device' terminated with exit code 20 drbdadm
> aborting
>
> this seems to be due to drbdb module failing to load
>
> vhost2:~# modprobe drbd
> FATAL: Module drbd not found.
>
> I've got 2.6.22-4-vserver-amd64 kernel on etch amd64 and
> drbd8-2.6.22-4-vserver-amd64 installed.
>
> My apt sources are
>
> # cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
>
> Should I ditch etch backports, and/or build my own vserver-patched
> kernel? Or am I missing some other steps?
>
> Thanks,

I think you've either got a typo in your message, or you are in fact _not_
using the backports packages you seem to want to use.

What you need is one package named drbd8-utils, and another named
drbd8-module-source. From the latter you have to build a DRBD module to match
your kernel:

apt-get install module-assistant build-essential \
                linux-headers-2.6-vserver-amd64 \
                drbd8-utils drbd8-module-source
m-a a-i drbd8

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.