[DRBD-user] Is it possible to Identify the ressource devices with an UUID?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Apr 29 11:06:23 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 21:01:58 Jürgen Scholz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been using DRBD for quite some time and now one ressource is
> filled to the top with data. It's running inside a virtual machine, so
> adding a bigger blockdevice should be no problem, but if i add devices
> to the configuration the enumeration of the devices is a bit tricky to
> handle. I don't want to break anything and state my question in case I
> have to do this again sometime.
>
> Is it possible to address a blockdevice with the UUID, which for
> example ubuntu uses to find the right blockdevice/filesystem for a
> certain mountpoint in fstab?

You mean like so?

drbdadm primary <resource>
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/drbd<num>
tune2fs -l /dev/drbd<num> | grep UUID
mount -U <uuid> <mountpoint>

Will work in theory, but since both your DRBD device and its backing device
are listed in /proc/partitions (which mount scans through for UUID mounts),
mount will detect that UUID or both and get confused. So this is probably
more error-prone than the conventional approach.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.