[DRBD-user] Replacing larger hard drives while keeping services available?

Clint Rosander clint at vmix.com
Fri Apr 18 02:18:03 CEST 2008

I currently have a particular cluster of servers that contain two
nodes linked by DRBD in a Primary/Secondary type setup. An instance
of MySQL is running on the primary node and is monitored by Linux-HA
(Heartbeat). I am faced with the issue of needing to replace the
current hard-drives with much larger ones and need to do this while
keeping the MySQL instance available. My questions is, when I shut
down the Secondary node (after disabling Heartbeat and shutting down
DRBD) and replace the existing hard drives with larger ones, does
anyone have any suggestions on how I reintroduce the box into the
DRBD cluster (as a Secondary node), with these new/larger partitions?

Will there will be any negative affect if I simply introduce the new
secondary node with the larger partitions, have it take over the
primary role, then take down the new Secondary node for the sam
maintenance, or is this just wishful thinking? This is a simple task
if I don't have to worry about keeping the MySQL instance up and
running, but unfortunately, that is not the case.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint