[DRBD-user] stripe unit size

Martin Gombac martin at isg.si
Mon Apr 14 15:31:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

i;m setting up my first real raid 5 (IBM serveraid 8k) drbd failover
cluster and will have everything on it (/root, drbd's, metadata
external partitions, /tmp,..). It will be mail, db and web cluster.

In the setup process of raid i need to set strip unit size. I think
this is the size of each (striped) block on the device.
I've chosen 64KB. Does DRBD prefer certain value? Can I set it to
match DRBD's disk block size in order to achieve speed gains? What
block sizes does DRBD use? Can i set those on DRBD or is this up to
the filesystem?

I'm thinking of using reiserfs since all my other clusters and normal
systems have it (do you recommend other?).
I will use Anticipatory scheduler (if i remember correctly it's name).

Since all my other installs were done on PC's ('cause we have
failover there was no need for trendmark reliable hardware), I will
be glad if anyone has any other points or suggestions for installing
DRBD failover cluster on x(3400) IBM series.

Thank you for your time,
Martin