[DRBD-user] drbd resource write performance and sync speeds

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Apr 8 17:20:37 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 05:27:25 Christian Balzer wrote:
> These are (except for the 2 primaries) nearly exactly the same settings I
> came up with after a lot of testing.
>
> In my case it's a dual quad core box with 24GB RAM and 8 1TB SATA drives
> in a RAID-5 that give me about 120MB/s writes on the "bare" MD device.
> The first try with default values on DRBD gave me about 41MB/s writes and
> a big "WTH?" feeling.

If your local I/O subsystem pulls 120MB/s, the expected max DRBD throughput is
around 105 MB/s:

- disk does 120,
- Gigabit Ethernet realistically does 110,
- so the network is your bottleneck,
- so deduct about 5% DRBD throughput penalty,
- and you end up around 105 MB/s.

And that's a throughput we routinely tune DRBD to.

> In addition to that I turned on "use-bmbv" since nobody here actually
> managed to give me a good reason (other than cargo-cult quoting the manual)
> not to with my particular setup (identical disks and all on Linux MD) and
> it made about a 5MB/s difference in writes...

The general mantra here is "if it works for you, fine".

> My personal conclusion is that if one wants to build a high-speed
> (writes) DRBD setup where speed is definitely more important than
> storage capacity, go for a RAID-10 (preferably the Linux MD RAID-10
> with far or offset replication) with as many and as fast drives you
> can fit. For extra oomph, consider a battery backed ramdisk or solid
> state drive to hold the meta-data.

Or just use hardware RAID with BBWC.

Also, don't confuse throughout and latency, and measure block device
performance before file system performance.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

Please note: when replying, there is no need to CC my
personal address. Replying to the list is fine. Thank you.