[DRBD-user] DRBD ping-timeout values

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Fri Apr 4 13:12:28 CEST 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008 10:57:49 George H wrote:
> On 4/4/08, Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 04 April 2008 10:42:51 George H wrote:
> >  > On 4/4/08, Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
> >  > > George,
> >  > >
> >  > >  is this a Broadcom fibre adapter using the tg3 driver?
> >  >
> >  > It is a Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708S Gigabit Ethernet (rev12). I'm
> >  > syncing between 2 baldes servers in 2 separate chassis.
> >
> > The point of my question was whether you are using the tg3 or bnx2
> >  driver. "ethtool -i <device>" is your friend.
>
> Oh sorry, i'm using:
>
> driver: bnx2
> version: 1.6.5
> firmware-version: 3.4.4
> bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

Hmmm. I've seen an issue very similar to what you are describing with a recent
driver update from Broadcom. For some unknown reason, a back-to-back fibre
connection between the two NICs would randomly break down, without even ARP
requests coming through. ifconfig down/up temporarily fixed the issue, but it
would invariably reappear. As of today, I've found no way to fix this other
than reverting to the previous version.

However those were BCM5701 adapters using the tg3 driver, not BCM5708S's using
bnx2 like yours. Maybe both drivers are broken for back-to-back fibre
connections in recent kernels? Can you revert to an earlier kernel and see if
the issue disappears? Or perhaps upgrade to 2.6.24 to see if your issue has
been fixed in the meantime?

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.