[DRBD-user] DRBD + Heartbeat + 1 eth + 1 serial

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 28 17:53:16 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 04:46:41PM +0200, Matteo Campana wrote:

> Lars Ellenberg ha scritto:
> >On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 01:06:39PM +0200, Matteo Campana wrote:
> >>Hi Lars and all the guys in ML :).
> >>My problem is to understand the behaviur of my HA system: I have read in
> >>the documentation about heartbeat that at least 2 channels of
> >>communication between 2 nodes are required to preserve the system from
> >>the "split brain" problem (in my system I have 1 ethernet +  1 serial).
> >>But....in my tests I see however  that DRBD says the "infamous" :)
> >>message "split-brain detected" ecc.. .
> >>My test:
> >>
> >>   * I disconnect primary node from the ethernet
> >>   * secondary ----> primary  (ok)
> >>   * I reconnect primary
> >>   * secondary still remain primary (ok for my config)
> >>   * the problem is that the two nodes are standalone and not
> >>     re-syncronize theirs drbd partition.
> >>
> >>DRBD does not use also the serial channel in order to communicate
> >>between the nodes?
> >
> >um. it does use the heartbeat communication infrastructure,
> >if you configure the "outdate-peer handler", in which case it had
> >outdated the other node, before you try to make it primary,
> >thus preventing you from going online with stale data.
>
> I need to recompile heartbeat to use the "outdate-peer" plugin?
> (currently I'm using the heartbeat package for Debian).

I think that you should use the "backports" heartbeat 2.1.2,
and that should include the "dopt" already.

"someone" should probably write up a walk through for
how to set it all up "properly"...

otherwise, it should be more or less the same as
what we have in drbd svn / tarball in the "tools" subdir.

so no, you don't need to recompile heartbeat,
but either use a more recent heartbeat package that includes it,
or compile this heartbeat plugin from the drbd source tarball.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :