[DRBD-user] LVM (not cLVM) on pri/pri?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 19 10:03:13 CEST 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:56:40PM -0700, Kelly Byrd wrote:

> I'm testing out a single drbd in pri/pri with a single volume group
> containing many logical volumes. The LVM scheme is static, I set it up
> once, it never changes when the drbd is live. I then ext3 format each LV. I
> mount half the LVs on one box, half on the other. On failure, I STONITH and
> mount the "other" LVs on the remaining box. Does this seem reasonable? LVM
> isn't changing underneath anyone and ext3 is only ever accessed by a single
> host at a time.

if it is static, anyways,
why not have drbd on top of lvs,
and run "classical" Primary/Secondary per drbd/lv?

pri/pri does basically work,
but is more complicated to handle.

if you go for pri/pri in your case,
for the setup described here,
after thorough contemplation,
you may want to configure the "after-split-brain handlers" to
something similar:
  if secondary connects to primary (1pri)
  and the detect divergent data sets:
      discard the changes on secondary, sync primary -> secondary
  if primary connects to primary (2pri)
      disconnect. aparently stonith did not work.
      sort out manually.
  if secondary connects to secondary (0pri)
      disconnect.
      aparently this was a cluster reboot/common power cycle.
      sort out manually.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :