[DRBD-user] Re: Could drbd randomly flip bits? Was: Database page corruption on disk occurring during mysqldump on a fresh database and Was: Spontaneous development of supremely large files on different ext3 filesystems

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Tue Sep 18 00:47:33 CEST 2007

I guess I will watch it closely for now and if it trips up again
failover to the drbd peer and see what happens there. I suppose I
could even deattach the local disks and have it run using the peer
over the wire. That should eliminate the local I/O subsystem.

>>It's kind of scary there is no end-to-end parity implemented
>>somewhere along the whole data path to prevent this. It sort of
>>defeats the point of RAID 6 and ECC.
>
>I agree, it's pretty damn scary.  You can read about the story and
>the ensuing discussion here:

I wonder if drbd could help out with that.

>Interesting.  I hadn't heard of such a thing until I just looked it
>up.  But in any case that adds yet another variable (and a fairly
>uncommon one) to the mix.

It's this one: http://www.acnc.com/02_01_jetstor_sata_416s.html. I
thought units like it are very popular.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu