[DRBD-user] Lower device already claimed

Stefan Lesicnik stefan at lsd.co.za
Fri Sep 14 11:32:51 CEST 2007

Hi Guys!

I am getting a strange error on both boxes running drbd.

WARN:
  You are using the 'drbd-peer-outdater' as outdate-peer program.
  If you use that mechanism the dopd heartbeat plugin program needs
  to be able to call drbdsetup and drbdmeta with root privileges.

  You need to fix this with these commands:
  chgrp haclient /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod o-x /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod u+s /sbin/drbdmeta

[ d0 Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means
it is mounted.

cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb1 internal
--set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach  failed!

This defiantly used to work, so im not sure what has gone wrong.

>From what i've been able to determine, if LVM, MD or the system accesses
the drive, drbd cant use it then. Although im pretty sure this is not
the case.

Im not using MD. I am using LVM and have tried the following

filter = [ "a|/dev/drbd|", "r|.*|" ]
and
filter = [ "r|/dev/sdb1|" ]

So im not convinced LVM has grabbed this device.

I did update my standard ubuntu tools with the tools from the 8.0.6
package. I dont know if this has anything to do with it.

I am using the 8.0.6 kernel module.

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-lowlatency/kernel/drivers/block/drbd.ko
alias:          block-major-147-*
license:        GPL
author:         Philipp Reisner <phil at linbit.com>, Lars Ellenberg
<lars at linbit.com>
srcversion:     DC72784B6B126E56C64089F
depends:        cn
vermagic:       2.6.20-16-lowlatency SMP preempt mod_unload

Anyone got any ideas around this!

Thanks :)

--
Stefan Lesicnik