[DRBD-user] Re: Issue regarding inservice upgrade from 0.7.x to 8.x

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Sep 8 20:00:59 CEST 2007

drbd-user as well as drbd-dev is subscribers only.
drbd-dev is even "moderated".
I think this is more apropriate for drbd-user,
so I cc the reply there.

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 05:08:43PM +0530, kishore kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing the following problem in my experimental setup.
>
> My Setup: Two PCs running availability software and drbd (version 0.7-21) is
> one of the component to replicate the important configuration files.
>
> I'm Using drbd 0.7-21 version in my experimental setup. I want to migrate to
> drbd 8.x version by doing an inservice upgrade(After doing this, one PC will
> be having version 0.7-21 and other will be running 8.x) of drbd. From the
> drbd.org site, I found out that it is not possible to do an inservice
> upgrade from 0.7-21 version to 8.x version. Can anyone please tell me if
> there is any possible way of achieving the above task. If so, how can I
> migrate from drbd 0.7-21 to 8.x.

if you mean by "inservice" that you'd want to do a rolling upgrade,
no, that is not implemented. drbd 0.7 and 8.0 speak incompatible
dialects on the wire so they cannot talk to each other.

if well prepared (and please first practice with a test setup),
you can still have minimal downtime:

 * stop all services accessing the drbd partitions
 * IMPORTANT
   make sure that at this point all drbd is
   "Connected Secondary/Secondary Consistent"
 * stop drbd and unload the module
 * replace module
 * replace userland tools
 * convert drbd meta data 0.7 -> 8.0
 * adjust drbd.conf to the new syntax where neccessary.
 * load the new module
 * configure the new drbd,
 * double check that everything is
   "Connected Secondary/Secondary Up2Date/Up2Date" now
 * start services again

if well prepared and scripted, this should take just a couple of minutes.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-55 :