[DRBD-user] Behavior question

Uli Schellhaas uli.schellhaas at leute.server.de
Thu Sep 6 23:19:42 CEST 2007

Hello,

something unfunny happened today and i would like to know what i could
have done. v0.7.24

I was physically moving the nodes and had the primary working well, the
secondary was just booting up after 30 Minutes being disconected. -and i
triggered issues with the raid on the primary by using the "hotplug"
with a new drive, so it did what i configured:
on-io-error   detach;

drbd0: Sorry, I have no access to good data anymore.
EXT3-fs error (device drbd0): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block

I got the Raid up again but i believe drbd marked the Data as corrupt or
something ? Even after a drbd restart it wouldnt work well.
I shut down any service on the primary before the drbd restart and
needed to restart services as early as possible. So - being frightened
of invalidating the secondary- i connected drbd again and primarys data
was overwritten.

I would have liked newer data on a maybe corrupt filesystem more than
older data on a healthy filesystem. Would a invalidate or discard data
command on the secondary before connecting have achieved that or would i
have ended up with no good data anywhere if i had done this ?

In case the data was marked corrupt - could i have forced drbd to remove
the flag ?

greetings.