[DRBD-user] LVM2 over DRBD7

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Fri Oct 26 17:28:36 CEST 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:18:54 +0400, Eugene Prokopiev
<prokopiev at stc.donpac.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I use LVM2 over DRBD7? In http://www.drbd.org/drbd-article.html
> I see:
>
> Drbd as LVM ``physical'' volumes currently does not work at all, due to
> the transparency of drbd and limitations in LVM. LVM2 could work, but
> probably needs some major tweaking.
>
> Which tweaks need I do?

Works just fine. But don't expect you'll be able to automagically
see changes to the LVM layout on the "other" node. But, if you
just have a big drbd, then do pvcreate on that /dev/drbd0 or whatever,
followed by the vgcreate and then chop it up into lvs you should be
fine. Use vgchange to see the layout changes on the other node.

The only thing I did to "tweak" was to change the LVM conf file
regular expression to only look at drbd devices.

But, one thing Lars convinced me to do that I like better is
LVM under drbd. You get a bunch of LVs, then make a drbd per
logical volume. You probably need to configure drbd to not sync
them all at once.