[DRBD-user] drbd implementation question

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Fri Oct 19 16:34:46 CEST 2007

On
> Create the RAID, whether it is HW or SW.
>
> Create a LVM VG out of the RAID array(s).
>
> Create LVM LVs out of the VG.
>
> You can create a drbd volume after the fact, you just CANNOT
> create it with the meta-data on that volume you have to locate
> the meta-data on a separate volume.

Aha! I had not thought of that. So if I had an /dev/sda1 as xfs
partition with data on it, I could create drbd1 with /dev/sda1
as the backing device, locating the meta-data somewhere else?
Then when I sync to the other box, if I'm carefuly about who is
outdated for the initial sync, I'll end up with my xfs and data
on the other box as well? Awesome.

> I prefer to locate the meta-data separately anyways, I create
> a separate LV for drbd meta-data, and do drbd per-LV instead
> of per RAID array.

Besides this onetime trick are there any other reasons? May
I store all my meta-data for a bunch of drbds (each in it's
own LV) in one place?