[DRBD-user] drbd implementation question

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Fri Oct 19 15:43:36 CEST 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:48:56 +0200, "Rudi Ahlers" <Rudi at SoftDux.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm new to drbd and have some questions, hoping someone could help me.
I'd
> like to use software RAID & LVM to make it easier to upgrade in the
future.

> how do I manage such a setup?
> Do I first setup the RAID, then the LVM volumes and the drbd?
> Can I install & setup drbd on partitions with existing data?

What are you looking for in the end? One big replicated chunk
of space? Do you need smaller granularity? For the local
RAID, what are the requirements there? RAID0? RAID5? RAID1?

If you're going to run raid and lvm underneath drbd, I'm not
sure how you'll keep existing data. Wouldn't creating LVMs on
top of an  existing partition with data in it destroy that
filesystem?

I'm pretty sure you can't directly create a drbd with existing
data,  drbd is a block device, so it would run underneath a
filesystem. If you had a filesystem with data in it already,
making a drbd out of that space would screw up the filesystem
and the data. Just like when you create a RAID1 from existing
data, you copy the data into the RAID1.