[DRBD-user] n00b question about generation numbers

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Oct 19 12:00:35 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:56:24AM -0700, malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> I am trying to implement a better 'master selection' scheme in Linux
> dm-mirror/LVM2 code.
>
> I read that DRBD used to have generation number scheme instead of the
> current UUID scheme. I read that the old 'generation number' scheme
> doesn't work for more than 2 nodes. Can some please explain how/why?
> Would a time stamped generation number help for more than 2 nodes?
>
> I understand that a generation number scheme would NOT work for quick
> resynchronization for more than 2 nodes, but would that help if we were
> to do full-resynchronization?

did you _read_ the papers at http://www.drbd.org/publications.html?

and, why would you want to go with drbd 0.7 or older?
you probably cannot maintain it,
and we won't do that much longer either.

get the innards of the black boxes you sell up to date!

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :