[DRBD-user] DRBD On Top Of ISCSI

SuperDuG superdug at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:05:15 CEST 2007

Hello list,
I have been lurking for a while on the list and have decided to post in
hopes of finding resolution to a situation I have.

I want to run DRBD on this setup:

OS:  Linux (CentOS 5)
Kernel:  2.6.18-8(xen)
Heartbeat:  2.1.2-3
DRBD: 8.0.4-1
ISCSI-Utils: 6.2.0.742-0.6

The ISCSI-Utils package is the open-iscsi.org iscsi initiator/target (
2.0.742)

I have googled, asked on IRC, even looked through mailing lists and I can't
seem to find any documentation of anyone successfully getting DRBD to run
atop an disc via ISCSI initiator.

This would be the model I'm trying to make:

ISCSI -> DRBD -> FileSystem

The use will be because we have remote SANS which we'd like to keep in sync
with DRBD.  Currently we're doing DRBD on the physical harddrives. The SANS
are dumb to each other, which is why DRBD would like to be used.

I haven't had the chance to try and see if it's possible, going to start
trying today, but I'd really like some tips/tricks to get this thing going.

Thanks,

Doug