[DRBD-user] Resources for learning how to use DRBD as Primary/Primary?

D. Dante Lorenso dante at lorenso.com
Wed Nov 21 01:17:34 CET 2007

Florian Haas wrote:
> Geographic redundancy in Primary/Primary mode? Forget that. What are you
> trying to do, run an OCFS2 cluster coast to coast?
> I'm puzzled, to say the least. But always eager to learn. :-)

It's not really about redundancy in the sense of having a hot fail-over,
but more about having a live copy of data at a remote location.  I'd
like both locations to feel they have their own local file storage while
in effect sharing that storage remotely.

For a more specific example:

    I have a collocation facility in Austin, TX and another in Dallas, TX
    and want to be able to write a file locally in Austin and have that
    file also be written in Dallas and immediately be readable through an
    NFS exported file system.

In my lab tests, I have DRBD running to mirror one file server to the
other, but I can only mount the /dev/drbd0 device on the Primary node
and the Secondary node is not usable for anything other than fail-over.
  I can't even use the secondary to perform backups to tape.

I don't mind having a master/slave relationship if say node1 was the
Primary and could be mounted read/write while node2 was the secondary
and could be mounted as read-only.  I think I'd prefer even better to
have a Primary/Primary setup where I could write files from either
location and have them written to both simultaneously.

My connection between Dallas and Austin is only a few short hops over
the internet and latency/speed is not as important as the abstraction of
the transfer/storage.  This system is 99.99% read intensive and the
write traffic is quite low.

-- Dante