[DRBD-user] Debian etch package vs v8.0.3

H.D. devnull at deleted.on.request
Tue May 15 21:03:16 CEST 2007

Benjamin Watine wrote:
> I'm about to set up a HA cluster on Debian 4 servers, with heartbeat
> 2.0.8 and DRBD. I've tested it with  DRBD v8.0.1, and I see that the
> DRBD package in etch is v0.7.21-4.
>
> I would like to know if I can use this package with my "classical"
> configuration (see below). Is there's new functions or known bugs that
> will prevent me from doing the same thing I tested before ?

What is the point of starting a new setup with outdated software?
Especially if you tested your setup with 8.0.1, what is that test worth
if you're going to use another version in production? Anyway, see the
change log for fixed bugs and new features:

http://svn.drbd.org/drbd/trunk/ChangeLog

Sure HA is about stability and not about bleeding edge, but I've never
understood the motivation behind choosing a random old version of a
package and believing it to be more stable than something else.

If for some reason you prefer to use the 0.7 branch, the difference
between 0.7.21 and 0.7.24 seems to be the following list:

 * Fixed leakage of bios in case we are diskless.
 * A fix to the device name guessing code.
 * Made it to compile on 2.6.21 and gcc-4.1 without warnings.
 * Made it to compile on 2.6.19.
 * Fixed bugs in the implementation of protocol A and B.
   we noticed that in protocol A and B, on connection loss,
   we could "forget" to set certain areas out of sync.
   so resync in those protocol has been broken all along!
 * Fix races between failure in drbd_send_dblock
   and concurrently running tl_clear
 * Fix potential access-afer-free in drbd_dio_end
 * Fix possible list corruption respective resulting deadlock in
   receive_DataRequest
 * Improved the drbd_thread_stop / start code
 * Gracefull removal of devfs and other updates.
 * Implemented the "freeze_io" option for "on-disconnect"

So if you're fine with this list in production, go with 0.7.21, but my
understand of HA is to chose the most stable version of software, and
the last thing I care about is what my distribution / OS ships with :)

--
Best regards,
H.D.