[DRBD-user] DRBD can't see each other anymore?

Howard Yuan Howard.Yuan at Valence.com
Wed Mar 28 23:35:39 CEST 2007

That's exactly what happened. I was testing possible problems and restarted the primary. So...if I ever needed to restart the primary server, what is the best method to go about doing so? Stopping DRBD on both servers then restarting? Or forcing the secondary to be primary while I restart the main server and have heartbeat automatically switch the resources back when the primary server comes back online?

Howard

On Friday 23 March 2007 16:33, Howard Yuan wrote:
> I had DRBD setup and they were mirroring each other fine. And then, I
> decided to try restarting one of my servers...and then both of them would
> come u as Secondary/Unknown. Now, BOTH of them won't see each other anymore
> when I try to start DRBD. Any ideas why they would suddenly not see each
> other anymore?
>
> When I try to start DRBD now (/etc/init.d/drbd start), they just sit there
> and count up while waiting to see the other. They can ping each other and I
> have the firewall turned off between them. Any ideas?

Did you reboot your primary? It may be that drbd is not sure which node
contains stale data and which contains current data. I got myself into a a
similar situation. I had to force one to be primary then bring up the other
node with the --discard-my-data option. The command would be:

drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect

This command will bring up the node you run it on as the secondary node and
start a sync.

HTH,
Tom