[DRBD-user] problem when upgrading drbd from drbd-0.7.19 to drbd-8.0.1

David Shwatrz dshwatrz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:27:34 CET 2007

Hello all,
I have a problem when trying to upgrade drbd from drbd-0.7.19 to drbd-8.0.1.

I hade the following drbd.conf which used to work in drbd-0.7.19 :

# drbd.conf

resource cluster {
    protocol C;
   incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60; halt
-f";
    startup {
  degr-wfc-timeout 120;
 }
 disk {
  on-io-error detach;
 }
 net {}
 syncer {
  rate 5M;
 }
 on host4 {
  device /dev/drbd0;
  disk /dev/vg1/cluster;
  address 192.168.0.74:7788;
  meta-disk internal;
 }
 on host5 {
  device /dev/drbd0;
  disk /dev/vg1/cluster;
  address 192.168.0.75:7788;
  meta-disk internal;
 }
}

When I upgraded to drbd-8.0.1 I used the same drbd.conf, with this slight
change:
instead
  protocol C;
   incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60; halt
-f";
comes:
  protocol C;
handlers {
     pri-on-incon-degr  "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60;
halt -f";
  }
and this is the only change I did.

Now, when I try: "drbdadm up all"
I get:
  Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.
  Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area.

  Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/vg1/cluster /dev/vg1/cluster
internal --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach' terminated
with exit code 10

I saw that somebody had a problem like this, on which he reported
in this mailing list:
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-February/006439.html
It says there:
> If I change to metadata internal, insted of flexible-metadata internal

But here, this is not the problem as you can see, since I don't
"flexible-metadata internal" entry in the drbd.conf.

Any ideas?
I am using the tarball , not svn version, for drbd (in both 7 and 8
versions).

Regards,
DS