[DRBD-user] Cheap HA Cluster

dd8ne at web.de dd8ne at web.de
Wed Mar 21 17:00:33 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm thinking about a cheap HA Cluster for serving XEN DomU domains.

That's what I'm thinking of:

*-----------------------*                           *-----------------------*
|        Server1        |                           |       Server2         |
|          Xen          |prim                   prim|         Xen           |
|                   GFS |---------| DRBD8 |---------| GFS                   |
|VM1                    |                           |                    VM3|
|VM2                    |                           |                    VM4|
*-----------------------*                           *-----------------------*

Has anybody got working such a cluster?

I run in problems, using LVM on DRBD as I can not switch to secondary as soon
as I've done a vgchange -aly or CLVMD was started as "Device is held opened by
someone". So I ran into a Split-Brain situation for each reboot. My solution:
using a 'normal' partition for drbd.

So far, I'm able to do live migration between the servers, using image files
on the drbd GFS partition. ... Not so bad ...

Any hints for getting working (C)LVM?

Oh yes... I'm using CentOS5 beta and DRBD 8.0.1

Hans-Joachim