[DRBD-user] Re: file replication between sites

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Mar 8 15:30:33 CET 2007

It is through Prot A, but you will most likely still have issues with
a) total amount of data replicated in 24 hours, b) current drbd only
supports 2 replicas, and c) most cluster file systems expect to have
synchronous data access between nodes.

> We will look into the csync2 project and make a test setup. Prior we
> have discarded rsync and other solutions, because it has to
> be real-time
> or close to real-time file replication.
>
> I know that this is a very needed solution and that many
> project based
> companies have problems with this, but I still have not found or have
> been presented a workable solution for linux. We are def.
> willing to pay
> for it, but it has to be a proven solution and nothing
> experimental. If
> it is stable and does the above we are willing to test it and
> pay for it.
>
> thanks
> Kristian

The best solution may not be replication of storage, but the
centralization of the applications.

By having users either log on completely through terminal services,
citrix, remote X to a centralized app server that has local access to
the storage over the WAN or have just those applications exported
over Citrix, X to the users' desktop over the WAN where they will
read and write and execute remotely but display locally.

You will then need only 2 storage units, either as primary or
backup or as primary-primary with load balancing between the two
application servers, if you can find a clustering file system that
can work asynchronously and that the application will work properly
with, or for disaster recovery, offsite backup, snapshot server, etc.

I would probably go with the application server solution connecting
to the storage via fiber channel or iSCSI to a locally based storage
server, depending on the cost benefit of either, and have drbd do
asynchronous replication to a backup site off the storage server
connected with a dedicated E1 for data replication, or a committed
rate of E1 equivalence for replication if using larger pipes.

Try to keep the amount of replication to a minimum for reliability,
manageability, and performance otherwise it gets too complicated to
diagnose, tune and fix problems.