[DRBD-user] file replication between sites

Kristian T Knudsen ktk at te.dk
Mon Mar 5 17:07:06 CET 2007

Hello,

We have been waiting for years to have a setup that can replicate our
project files between our sites through 2-4Mbit dsl (max 30sek. delay).

I read that version 0.8x would have the feature that you can mount the
disks from both sites and thus write to the disks from both sites at the
same time and the changes would be replicated back and forth.

We are looking for the simplest setup first, 2 node active-passive
cluster (sles 10, heartbeat) and a DAS disk system connected to both
serveres. This setup on 2 different locations with 500km between them
(Tinglev, Denmark and Berlin, Germany). We have a dedictated E1(~2mbit)
line with about 25ms delay for the data transmission. The disks are
about 500GB and the data generated each day is about 500MB, but the data
change is a lot more we assume serveral GB/day. Also noteworhty is that
we have millions small files (10-50kb).

Later we would connect a third site to this setup and replicate between
them. Perhaps in the future also use ocfs2 to make it active-active on
each site with the 2 node clusters or do I actually need to make use of
the clsuter file system now to be able to it in the first place?

The main part is that the files are kopied between sites and replace
older versions and that when you open a file on one site, that you on
another site can se it is opened from someone with the fil-locking
feature from dedicated applications such as AutoCAD, which uses .DWL
"(DraWing Lock) files are temporary lock files created when a drawing
file (.DWG) is opened."

So the obvious question ... is that possible with 8.0.1, and has someone
by any change a similar setup that has it working?

thanks in advance
Kristian Knudsen

--

Development Manager