[DRBD-user] Just restarting secondary causes split brain, cansomeone expain why please?

David df at auto123.com
Tue Mar 6 18:07:51 CET 2007

Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> Is this what you guys are talking about?
>
>  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/7122
>
> Or, has that issue been fixed in 0.8?  If it's the same problem as
> described in the above link, then this is how I've had to deal with
> it.
>
> On the original primary system, disconnect and invalidate the drbd
> device. This will put the system into StandAlone mode.
>
>  drbdadm disconnect dhcp
>  drbdadm invalidate dhcp
> Then on both, connect. This will cause the data from the new primary
> to sync to the old primary.
>
>  drbdadm connect dhcp

Not exactly.  My problem results when I reboot the primary box.  The
secondary switches primary (as expected) and as soon as I start drbd on
the rebooted box, the primary box goes into a standalone state and I
have to abort the drbd start up on the secondary or it will sit there
indefinitely.  Now seeing as the file system is mounted as read only on
the online (now primary) box, and the other one is rebooting, I don't
see how the data is getting changed on both boxes at the same time.  The
only thing I keep coming back to is XFS is changing it's internal data
on reboot and this makes drbd think that the partitions contents have
changed, causing the split brain.  I haven't been able to verify this
though.

David