[DRBD-user] Shrinking Filesystem

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jun 22 18:39:28 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:32:51AM -0500, CA Lists wrote:
> There was nothing on the drives at all. In a chicken-before-egg type of
> situation, since I don't have /dev/sdb mounted anywhere on the iSCSI
> targets, I thought I would need to get OCFS2 up and running on one of the
> nodes and format the drive to be able to do anything with it. Then, I found
> out ocfs2 provides no way to shrink a filesystem.

the correct way to set up a fresh file system on drbd is to
 * setup drbd,
 * then do mkfs /dev/drbdX,
and all will be fine.

> So, /proc/partitions shows a number that is 29492 smaller, which means bad
> things, right? In other words, I need to probably re-make the ocfs2 file
> system to be smaller, correct?

if you just make it on top of drbd, all is fine.

what are you trying to do there?

I mean, if I would export some blockdevice via iSCSI,
I'd not mount it locally, even with a cluster fs.
it just does not feel right, and probably asks for trouble
like resoiurce starvation deadlocks.

(well, actually, all block-io via linux network stack asks for trouble
of this kind, though it has been getting better.)

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :