[DRBD-user] Shrinking Filesystem

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jun 22 17:48:29 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:24:09AM -0500, CA Lists wrote:
> I have two iSCSI targets that I have drbd 8.0.3 running on (CentOS 5). I'm
> using OCFS2 on my nodes. My question is, which filesystem do I need to
> shrink for DRBD? Do I want to shrink the iSCSI disk on the nodes
> (/dev/sdb1), the actual block device on both iSCSI targets (/dev/sdb), or
> the drbd device on the iSCSI targets (/dev/drbd0)? And can I do this after I
> have used OCFS2 to format the disk? Thanks,

===== situation without drbd: =====

|- ~/.../~ - /dev/some/storage -- ~/.../~ -----------------------------|

===== situation with drbd, and external drbd metadata: =====

completely transparent wrt. /dev/some/storage,
no need to change anything. you just have to have some other block
device available for drbd meta data.

|- ~/.../~ - /dev/drbd0        -- ~/.../~ -----------------------------|
|- ~/.../~ - /dev/some/storage -- ~/.../~ -----------------------------|

               |- drbd-md: /dev/other/storage -|

===== situation with drbd, and internal drbd meta data: =====

|- ~/.../~ - /dev/drbd0        -- ~/.../~ -------|- drbd-md: INTERNAL -|
|- ~/.../~ - /dev/some/storage -- ~/.../~ -----------------------------|
                                                 |.....................|
                                                  these are the last
                                                  blocks of your
                                                  /dev/some/storage
                                                  so if you had
                                                  any useful
                                                  data here,
                                                  make sure you move
                                                  it away before you
                                                  overwrite this area
                                                  with drbd meta data

depending on what has been there (file system, partition, lv),
there are different means to do so.

hth.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :