[DRBD-user] Upgrade path for drbd?

Jan Kasprzak kas at fi.muni.cz
Tue Jun 19 01:22:11 CEST 2007

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
: sorry...  and thank you for trusting drbd that much!
: you probably should be more conservative when doing HA deployments.

	This is in fact why do I have a cluster of two computers, in order to
try even some not-so-old kernel features. This cluster
runs a multi-gigabit router/firewall, with drbd being used for
not so critical data (which nevertheless should be available
on the active node as soon after the takeover as possible),
like dhcpd.leases, arpwatch state tables, etc.
So yes, the downtime does matter for me, while the data on drbd
not as much (I have hourly backups of it on a secondary node).

: actually, we have the basic provisions in place, so in principle it
: would be doable to implement such an upgrade path.

	OK, it would be nice to have it for 8.0 -> the next stable.
Nice to know you are considering it.

: good to hear that it indeed did not hurt you,
: but even saved you some trouble :)

	Well, I am partly to blame here, because I have misinterpreted
the "8.0pre" name as something like a "-rc" in the Linux kernel
world - i.e.: "all new features are in, it might not be stable per se, but
there would not be major API/protocol changes between the -rc and the next
stable release, and nobody really works on the previous release anymore" :-).
It seems that the drbd world is different ;-)

	OK then, I will do a manual resource transition with unmounting
the volume and replacing the kernel module by hand. It looks feasible
for my setup, and it would probably not affect the really critical part
of the cluster tasks (routing).

	Thanks,

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |