[DRBD-user] [OT] rsync issues [Was Re: Read performance?]

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Jun 5 21:44:07 CEST 2007

Ok, you set it on the grub kernel command line with elevator=as
(for the older kernels) elevator=anticipatory for newer ones.

I did deadline on my iSCSI storage servers for a while until I
noticed how much writes starve out reads and how important it is
to get a quick read off of storage then a write, which is mostly
done asynchronously anyways.

> > If the link is high-latency I would seriously look into using
> > asynchronous replication in an active-passive setup, then use
> > a network file system with local-cache backing store for sharing
> > the storage... I believe Solaris has NFS caching backing store.
>
> Erm...  If I understood what you said, I'm not sure I like that way.
>
> The whole point of DRBD and replication is that if the office
> burns down, we
> can pick up the box from offsite, physically drive it into
> the office, and
> bring it up as a DRBD primary, then use BackupPC to restore
> as if we had the
> original backup server intact.
>
> I don't like the idea of using a cache for that, and I really
> don't like the
> idea of asynchronous replication here, unless it's done
> entirely in-order. If
> the primary goes down, the FS image on the secondary must be
> consistent.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

Here is the secenario I'm talking about. You have drbd replicating
the storage between production site A and backup site B. Either on
the same boxes in A and B or via iSCSI to other servers in sites A
and B, you run NFS servers.

Then in remote sites C, D and E you can mount these NFS shares on
Solaris boxes that provide a nice local storage backing store which
caches the files as they are accessed, verifying they are current
on each access. First access will feel the latency, but all other
accesses afterward should be quick, unless some other site changes
the file, then it will be slow untill latest cached copy is
downloaded.

If site A (primary production) blows up, then heartbeat will switch
over to secondary site B, with small data loss due to async
replication if it is in the middle of the production day, the NFS
clients should be able to re-establish connection to site B and
continue.

Just an idea, of course the real world implementation will bring
up other issues, but hey that's why we have a job...

> In any case, thanks for all your help, and in the end, the
> problem is solved
> by brute force.
>
> It's only the initial backups which were frustrating, as they
> took days, and
> any attempt to, say, edit a config file that was stored on
> the DRBD device
> was almost impossible (I was deliberately disconnecting them
> just to get vim
> to open; I always hated the vim swapfile on slow media).
>
> Nowdays, even with synchronous replication (over a slow DSL
> link, over a VPN),
> the whole backup process takes a little under an hour, mostly
> thanks to
> BackupPC's pooling and compression. Since this happens
> overnight, I'm not
> even there to notice slow reads.

If you keep backups local and replicate them behind the scenes
to a central repository that might help.

-Ross