[DRBD-user] Re: Use DRDB having an ongoing service

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jul 16 15:15:44 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:04:53PM +0200, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm already successfully using DRDB to keep synchronized
> two Postgresql database, with the engine active on the
> primary node.
>
> I have another service already going and I need to
> create a redundancy configuration, is it possible to make
> the already going partition as a primary for a new cluster
> (I will create the secondary node ofc) without stop the
> engine to use the partition on the primary node ?
> Otherwise I'm obliged to stop the service while I setup
> the cluster, I'd like to avoid the service interruption.
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

depending on where that data lives now,
it may be possible to move drbd in "silently"...

if you are on lvm2 already, and want to drbd a complete lv,
and you have one currently unconfigured slot free in drbd,
you can suspend the dm corresponding to the lv,
create a new identical mapping,
put drbd on top of that (with external meta data!)
and force it primary,
then change the original mapping to a simple linear mapping
on top of drbd,
and resume...

If you don't know how to do that, don't.
There are too many ways to screw up really badly here.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :