AW: [DRBD-user] Problem setting up drbd 8.0

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Fri Jan 26 07:01:09 CET 2007

Hi Lars, thanks for your quick response.
> > * startup script for gentoo is somewhat minimalistic- any special
> > reason the script does _not_ load the drbd  module?
>
> well. we don't gentoo. I never even looked at that script,
> its been some user contribution.

ACK. I'll post my modifications once I've  got it up and running.

> > Kernel is 2.6.19
>
> hopefully not. 2.6.19 is corrupting data...
> 2.6.19.2 might be a better one?

Sorry, omitted the final part of the version. Yes, it's actually
2.6.19.2.

> btw, since you do drbd on md raid, did you notice
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.raid/14142/focus=14142

Yes, but I wanted to get started with fewest possible patches and start
adding these once I've got basic functionality up & running.

> it does work with "internal" instead of "flexible".
> to drbdsetup, "flexible" means "flexible external", and that
> correctly won't work if the "external meta data device"
> is the same as the "storage device".
>
> to drbdmeta, unfortunately there is "internal" as well as
> "flex-internal", which mean the same thing for drbd 8, but
> not for 0.7, for compatibility reasons...
>
> >     flexible-meta-disk  internal;
>
> if it is internal, it does not matter whether you say
> "flexible" or not.

The reason I ended up with this combination is that it's the first
meta-disk example in the sample config file :-)
I'll retry with meta-disk internal ...

OK.. Better: now I get a completely different error:

 * Starting DRBD ...
drbdadm: stack smashing attack in function adm_connect()
/etc/init.d/drbd: line 39: 15940 Aborted                 ${DRBDADM} up
all

I'm using gcc 3.4.6 with built-in stack protection.

Debug output from adm_connect:

argc: 21
drbdsetup
/dev/drbd0
net
192.168.0.23:7788
192.168.0.21:7788
--set-defaults
--create-device
--rr-conflict=disconnect
--after-sb-2pri=disconnect
--after-sb-1pri=disconnect
--after-sb-0pri=disconnect
--shared-secret=xxxxxxxxxx
--cram-hmac-alg=sha1
--allow-two-primaries
--ko-count=4
--ping-timeout=5
--ping-int=10
--connect-int=10
--timeout=60

So the max argument count in adm_connect definitely needs to be higher
than 20.

Bye, Martin