[DRBD-user] Lower device is already mounted.

Magnus Appelquist magnus at appelquist.name
Sat Jan 20 21:40:15 CET 2007

Hello list,

I've seen other people with the same problem as me, but since I couldn't
find any answer I'll try again.

When I do /etc/init.d/drbd start, I get this error:

Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/loop5 /dev/loop5 internal
--set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach' terminated with
exit code 10

And from that moment the device is locked (until reboot), so if I for
example do (just a test):
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/loop5
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/loop5 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a
filesystem here!

The device is busy even if I unload the drbd module.
I've also tried on a lvm2 device with _exactly_ the same result...

So, the problem is first of all that I can't get drbd to work and
secondly it occupies my device.

Help, anyone?

My system (yes, I run xen and lvm2):
# uname -a
Linux cambozola 2.6.16.28-xen #11 SMP Wed Nov 8 09:56:34 CET 2006 x86_64
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 GNU/Linux

# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.0pre6 (api:85/proto:85)
SVN Revision: 2585 build by root at cambozola, 2007-01-20 16:28:50

Thanks,
/Magnus