[DRBD-user] creating lvm over "drbd over lvm"

Manoj Madhavan mssons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 06:02:42 CET 2007

Hi All

I am try to create the Lvm over drbd , which is over LVM

to be more clear

                     Expected                             Occurs

   lv            |    /dev/vg2/lv2                |            /dev/dm-0/lv2

   vg          |     /dev/vg2                     |     /dev/dm-0
pvcreate
   drbd       |     /dev/drbd0                 |     /dev/drbd0
   lv            |    /dev/vg1/lv1                |    /dev/vg1/lv1
   vg          |     /dev/vg1                     |     /dev/vg1
   phys. vol |     /dev/sda                    |     /dev/sda

here when i tried to create the phisical volume  over  DRBD

Before pvcreate

 # pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
  /dev/sda7  vg1  lvm2 a-   9.02G 8.02G

# pvcreate /dev/drbd0
  Physical volume "/dev/drbd0" successfully created

but physical volume drbd0 is not shown in the PVS, but a new pv is there ie
dm-0

# pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/dm-0       lvm2 --   895.81M 895.81M
  /dev/sda7  vg1  lvm2 a-     9.02G   8.02G

if try to create a vg on drbd0 its shows error, so i create on dm-0

# vgcreate vg2 /dev/dm-0
  Volume group "vg2" successfully created

# lvcreate -n lv2 -L500M /dev/vg2
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  Failed to activate new LV.

 # lvs
  LV       VG     Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%
  lv1    vg1    -wi-ao   1.00G
  lv2    vg2   -wi-d- 500.00M

here the lv2 is not able to access, it shows the devic does not exist
so please help me in finding the solution for this problem,

is it possible to create lvm over drbd , which is over lvm

--
manoj