[DRBD-user] Replacing server

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Thu Feb 22 13:45:27 CET 2007

Hi,

I want to replace one of the servers in drbd. It happens to be the primary
one. The secondary server is running in Xen and I rather not use it as
primary if not really necessary . I was thinking to take the following
steps. (Prim_old = Old primary server, Prim_new = New primary server,
Second = Secondary server)

1. Prim_new: start drbd with the 'new' configuration
1. Prim_old: drbdadm disconnect all
2. Prim_old: replace configuration with both prim_old and prim_new in the
resource
3. Prim_old: drbdadm -d adjust; drbdadm adjust
4. Prim_old: if it didn't connect automatically: drbdadm connect all
After Syncing:
5. Switch services from prim_old to prim_new
6. Prim_new: drbdadm disconnect all
7. Second: drbdadm invalidate all
8. Second: replace configuration with both prim_new and second in the
resource
9. Second: drbdadm -d adjust; drbdadm adjust
10. Prim_new: replace configuration with both prim_new and second in the
resource
11. Prim_new: drbdadm -d adjust; drbdadm adjust
12. Prim_new: if it didn't connect automatically: drbdadm connect all

Should this work, or am I missing something?

With kind regard,

Micha Kersloot
http://www.own-it.nl/