[DRBD-user] Re: heartbeat 2.0.8: lockups kerneloops

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 04:22:11 CET 2007

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2007-02-21 20:30:45 -0500
> \ Ross S. W. Walker:
>
>>> Ross,
>>> I was researching Lars patch as you suggested and then I went over to
>>> check the linux-kernel list and I don't see any mention of it on the
>>> list. So did this patch make it in somewhere? It would be
>>> nice to know
>>> that it is in the newer kernels.
>>>
>> Not yet is the best I can determine. It takes longer for kernel
>> outsiders to get patches recognized and included.
>>
>> I'm sure Lars can give the full details of it's status.
>>

> it is in 2.6.20, and 2.6.19.3 as well, it might show up in 2.6.16.y.
> there could be a workaround within drbd module code, if need be.
> not having it should not cause "hard lockups" of any kind, though.
> its just mere anoying how slow meta data io can be on md raid1 without
> this patch.
> that said, you are only likely to see that effect
> if you have a large storage.
>
> ** this would not be the cause of any oops. **
>
> still, I recommend to try a different,
> preferably "stable kernel.org" kernel.
>
> a memtest won't hurt, either, just to make sure...

Lars,
Yes I did a memtest and both machines got some errors on test #5 (block
moves, 64 moves). As I said in one of the previous posts I had read that
some Athlons get some errors on test #5 and it may not be critical. I
don't know whether that is true or not. The memory passed all the other
tests. So maybe I'll go swap some memory around just to see if it makes
a difference. Maybe drbd is putting a lot of pressure in the memory area
that wasn't there previously?

Gerry