[DRBD-user] [Fwd: Re: [Linux-HA] heartbeat 2.0.8: lockups] kerneloops

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 01:49:21 CET 2007

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

> The drbd replica was running correctly until HA was installed? HA really
> doesn't any low-level stuff, but it is sensitive to performance issues
> such as freezes which might explain the problems occurring.
>
> Try to make a custom kernel with the MD patches and run the backup and
> see it it halts.
>
> -Ross

It's hard to say. I had installed DRBD about 3 days before I installed
heartbeat. There didn't seem to be any problems until heartbeat was
running. But that could just be coincidence. The problem could have been
there and just hadn't manifested itself yet probably because I didn't
have the backups running right then. The hangs don't occur regularly.
Sometimes it will go two, three days without hanging. Other days it
might hang twice in the same day. The only common observation is that so
far it's always on the primary. Never had the secondary hang. So it's
when the array is visible.

I'm going to think about my options here. The last time I built a custom
kernel it took me forever to debug the thing and get it compiled right.
I might just shrink a filesystem/LV/md/partition and put a small LV for
the metadata directly on a new partition. All the disk slots are full in
the case so this looks like it might be the easiest right now.

Gerry