[DRBD-user] LVM snapshot for off site backup

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 16:40:07 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> / 2007-02-11 04:26:09 -0600
> \ Johnny Hughes:
> > One of the items I am backing up is the /var/lib/mysql directory, so I
> > was thinking that the best way to do this so that everything is
> > consistent is to convert the underlying device from a normal Linux
> > partition to LVM2.  I could then just take an LVM snapshot of the
> > underlying device and rsync that off site, then remove the snapshot
> > while DRBD was running.

Johnny, 1) are you concerned with DB or filesystem consistency here? I
think LVM snapshots will buy you filesystem consistency here, but are
we protected from interleaving our snapshot requests with uncompleted
DB transactions?
2) Have you modified your setup as Lars recommended? Were results with
CentOS 4.4 encouraging?
3) Lars, should resizing the underlying LV work transparently?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and huge thanks to both of you
for your superb work (must... resist... uppercase...).

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue