[DRBD-user] LVM snapshot for off site backup

Sun Feb 11 11:26:09 CET 2007

Hello,

We have been successfully using DRBD for our samba PDC and for our main
mail server for several years.  We've never really had any issues and
DRBD has provided failover capability several times.  Thank you for the
great product.

In my current setup the drbd partition is a separate drive, and it is on
a standard linux partition (fdisk output):

/dev/hdb1               1       19457   156288321   83  Linux

The DRBD solution is on (2) CentOS-4 machines (I am the lead CentOS-4
developer).

I am thinking about how to provide an off site backup of the information
on the live DRBD device for an emergency recovery capability.  This
would just be a partition that contains all the data so that the machine
could be used in the event of a catastrophic failure at one site.  It
would not need failover or other capabilities and would only be used if
a site had a problem for an extended period of time.

One of the items I am backing up is the /var/lib/mysql directory, so I
was thinking that the best way to do this so that everything is
consistent is to convert the underlying device from a normal Linux
partition to LVM2.  I could then just take an LVM snapshot of the
underlying device and rsync that off site, then remove the snapshot
while DRBD was running.

There are other possibilities for the data after converting both the
devices that DRBD lives on to LVM2.  (like a script stopping heartbeat
and drbd on the secondary machine, mounting the LVM device and doing a
snapshot, unmounting the device and turning on drbd then heartbeat and
letting the secondary catch back up).

I am just wondering if someone is already doing this and if so, what are
they doing?

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes