[DRBD-user] Should this actually work? OCFS2 on top of DRBD 8.0.0

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Feb 10 14:43:33 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Brandon Lamb wrote:

> Now I have cluster1 and cluster2 machines connecting to server1 and
> server2 respectively.

I think I see where you are going wrong, if I have read this correctly.
You are attempting to export an active/active drbd8 block device using
iSCSI from both drbd machines at the same time.

I suggest the problem with this arrangement is that the iSCSI targets are
not happy with sharing a block device. In the same way that you need a
clustered filesystem to share a filesystem between machines, you'll need
iSCSI target software that's going to be happy with the block device
changing underneath it (what with the obvious cache coherence issues). It
could be done but I can't see there being much demand for that feature.

You could theoretically use the iSCSI targets on top of OCFS2 on top of
DRBD8 but I wouldn't recommend it. Stick to the working arrangement of one
iSCSI target per block device. Remember KISS etc.

--
John P.